Pet Odor Control – PSH Floorcare
Memphis’ Most Experienced Pet Odor Control Specialists
We sure do love our pets, but sometimes they have accidents on our carpets and area rugs.
Pet urine stains create a breeding ground for unhealthy, odor-causing bacteria. If left to dry, those stains turn alkaline, and become increasingly difficult to remove. In badly pet stained textiles, we also need to be concerned about dye bleed damage and the possibility of structural damage like delamination or dry rot. PSH Floorcare is here to help!
Professional Pet Odor Control
To completely remove the odors associated with pet stains, we need to completely remove the source of the odor – the bacteria. This is sometimes easier said than done. Very often the stains that we see are just the tip of the iceberg. The largest portion of the stain has pooled on the floor or in the padding, and the smallest portion is what we can see on top.
If we can get to the urine stains while still new (less than a few hours old), we have the best chance at total removal. If the affected area has already dried, it is far more difficult. In fact, sometimes the odors become more intense after a cleaning because the relative humidity is elevated for a short time while the carpets are drying.
Area rugs should always be washed in a properly equipped professional rug washing environment.
Do-It-Yourself Pet Stain Cleaning
- Be sure to BLOT, don’t rub, to remove the urine stains. Rubbing only causes permanent fiber distortion.
- If the stains are solid, scrape up what you can and BLOT with tepid water. Again, do not rub.
- Do not use over-the-counter cleaners, especially high pH spotters that are oxygenated. These combine with the urine and often cause more harm than good.
- Do not over-wet the area. Rather, use small amounts of water so that the stains do not spread.
- Follow up with a professional cleaning as soon as possible to remove harmful bacteria and to minimize the potential for dye damage.
Use these techniques at your own risk. Always read directions on any spotter before using. Pre-test spotters in an inconspicuous area before using. If stains or odors persist, call us for advice!
5640 Summer Ave, Ste 1.
Memphis, Tennessee 38134
Mon-Fri 8am -5pm